Universal Credit Contact Number

The Universal Credit helpline can be contacted by phone: Open Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM-6:00 PM.

Customer Service is OpenHelpline is Open

*Calls to 084 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. We are not associated or affiliated with any of the companies or government agencies listed on the website, trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Universal Credit Helpline Hours

The Universal Credit Helpline team is available to take your call Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM-6:00 PM. Holiday help hours may vary.

Day Open Closed
Monday 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the name given to a new form of financial assistance provided by the government that encompasses six benefits currently on offer.

The government is currently in the process of migrating people over to Universal Credit, however you may be switched to receiving it early if you move to a city or town that has already been enrolled.

For more information about them, you can give their friendly contact team a call on the telephone number.

Universal Credit Eligibility

You may be eligible for it as long as you are a single person living anywhere in the UK (excluding Northern Ireland). You may also be eligible if you are a couple living in select towns and cities across the UK.

You must also be aged 18 years or older, but you must still be below the age where you can claim the State Pension. You must not be in any form of training or full-time education, and your savings must not total more than £16,000.

If you have significant savings of £6,000 or more then this may affect how much you can claim in it.

If you share your home with a partner, you nay need to make a joint claim.

If you’re trying to make a new claim for Universal Credit, you must not already be in receipt of Income Support, JSA, ESA or Incapacity Benefit.

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a financial assistance scheme designed to supersede and replace the following tax credit schemes:

• Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) – paid to those out of work but who are actively seeking employment.
• Working Tax Credits – paid to those who are working but have an income below a certain level
• Child Tax Credits – paid to those who have children under the age of 16
• Employment and Support Allowance – for those unable to work due to sickness or disability
• Income Support – helps those out of work with financial assistance
• Housing Benefit – paid to those to help with cost of housing

If you are already receiving these benefits then you do not need to do anything. The government will change you over to Universal Credits when the time is right for them to do so. You can find out when you are scheduled to be moved to it by giving the team at the top of the page a call.

Student Finance Payments

Due to the number of schemes that the benefit has replaced, there are a number of different qualifying criteria including how many children you have, living situation, annual earnings etc. The best way to get an idea of what you are entitled to is to give the specialist contact team a call and to discuss your circumstances. You can do this using the number at the top of this page.

There is no limit to the number of hours you can work whilst receiving Universal Credit, however the amount of benefit you will receive may gradually decline depending on how much you are earning. You may also be subject to a benefit cap if you meet certain qualifying conditions.