DVLA Helpline Contact Number

The DVLA helpline (Driver and Vehcile Licensing Agency) can be contacted by phone: Open Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM-7:00 PM and Saturday 8:30 AM-2:00 PM.

*Calls to 084 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. We are not associated or affiliated with any of the companies or government agencies listed on the website, trademarks are property of their respective owners

DVLA Telephone Helpline Hours

The DVLA helpline is available to take your call Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM-7:00 PM and Saturday 8:30 AM-2:00 PM. Holiday support hours may vary.

Day Open Closed
Monday 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Saturday 8:30 AM 2:00 PM

Tips for Contacting DLVA

• Have all your information to hand. Your license, vehicle registration number, license plate number, insurance documents, birth date, SORN certificate and anything else you might need for your enquiry.

• When you call DVLA contact number, be as direct as possible. Calling for complicated reasons relating to expired road tax or payments and complaints can be difficult to explain. Rest assured that their advisors have heard it all before and know how to solve your particular issue.

• Treat the advisors well. Although you may have a serious and justified complaint – it’s important to convey this clearly to their customer service staff as calmly as possible. They are not likely responsible for the issue.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I tax my vehicle?

• Keep your (V11) reminder letter handy and choose from the following options:
• Go online to the their official website and follow the procedure
• By phone. You can speak to their friendly customer services staff who will guide you through the process
• By post. Most substantially sized Post Offices deal with renewing your tax, but you will need extra info (log book, MOT certificate, etc…)

How do I let the DVLA know that I’ve moved or changes my telephone number?

You need to notify them of a change of address for your drivers license and your car. You should also notify of any changes to your contact number.

Give the DVLA phone number a call on the phone number provided and have your drivers license, national insurance number, another form of picture ID to hand.

Confirmation is usually within a week. Failure to do this could result in a fine of up to £1000.

What do I need to do if I’ve bought or sold a vehicle?

You should contact DVLA and let them know in either case and if you’re a trader or purchased or sold privately. If trading, you need the permission of the person who owns/owned the vehicle as well as the 11 digit reference number from the V5C (registration certificate).

About Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the database of cars and drivers in the UK as well as registering new drivers and cars. They also sell personalised registration plates.

It is a government agency directly under the supervision of the minister for transport.

In 2004, They introduced Electronic Vehicle Licensing (EVL). This means that now drivers and vehicle owners (reference) can make payments online via their website.

The agency’s database became operational in 1998/9 which has proven to be money well spent as this can store vehicle registration numbers and monitor cars moving in and out of London’s congestion zone.

Various methods and policies have been implemented by the DfT (Department for Transport) to tackle crimes relating to cars, from insurance issues to car theft by means of its VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) system.

Postal Address

Drivers License Enquiries

SA99 1BU

Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team


Vehicle Registration and Tax Enquiries

SA99 1AR

Drivers Medical Enquiries

SA99 1TU